The Senior Medicare Patrol (SMP) Program is designed to involve retired professionals as volunteers in the education of their peers, in safeguarding the Medicare and Medicaid programs. The Program grew from the development and success of the Operation Restore Trust launched in 1995 under the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
The Senior Medicare Patrol volunteers are part of the SHIP program. They are seniors who help fight and prevent Medicare/Medicaid fraud and abuse. The Senior Medicare Patrol is a vital and important part of the senior community.
The Senior Medicare Patrol Volunteers:
- Increase public awareness of health care fraud and costs
- Define what constitutes fraud/abuse
- Teach how to identify, report, and prevent fraud and abuse
- Develop an anti-fraud plan
- Provide individual or group presentations
- Become familiar with reporting methods to various report agencies